Puff Pastry Classic Recipe. For the simplified version check out the Puff Pastry Easy Recipe.
Puff Pastry Classic Recipe
For the dough:
- 245 g flour 96.4 oz
- 125 g water 49.2 oz
- 50 g butter, room temperature (1.8 oz)
For butter block:
- 300 g butter 10.6 oz
- 105 g flour 41.3 oz
For the dough:
- Leave the butter at room temperature for 20 minutes. Combine the butter and flour, either by hand on the work surface or in the stand mixer with paddle attachment. Dissolve the salt in the water and add them to the dough. Keep working it until all ingredients are combined.
- Wrap the dough in cling film and let it rest for 1 hour and ½ at room temperature.
For the butter block:
- Place the cold butter cut in cubes between two sheets of baking paper. Beat with the rolling pin to make it softer.
- Transfer the butter in the bowl of the stand mixer (or in a normal bowl if done by hand). Add the flour and start working it. This can be done by hand but be careful not to overheat the butter.
- Work the dough with the paddle attachment until the flour is absorbed. Do not overwork.
- Transfer between two sheets of baking paper and shape out a block about 1.5 cm high (0.6 in) and approx 20x20 cm (7.9 x 7.9 in).
- Wrap in cling film and refrigerate for 1 hour.
To make the puff pastry dough:
- Dust the work surface with flour. Roll out the dough in a square shape approx 30 x 30 cm (11.8 x 11.8 in).
- Place the butter block in the middle of the square, rotating it by 45°.
- Completely wrap the block with the four sides of the dough.
- Roll out the new dough in an 35 x 20 cm (13.7 x 7.9 in) rectangle, approx.
- From the short side fold the rectangle in 3.
- Mark the first fold by pressing your index finger in the dough once. Wrap in cling film and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- On the dusted surface roll out the dough again always from the short side.
- Fold the rectangle in half, open it back and fold the extremities towards the middle.
- Press gently in the middle with the rolling pin to create a furrow. Close the dough as a book (4-fold). Mark the dough with your finger twice, wrap in cling film and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Repeat the 4-fold twice: roll out the dough and fold it like before. Roll out the dough for the fourth time in the same manner.
- Mark the dough 2 more times times and put it again in the fridge, wrapped in film, for 1 hour.
- Again repeat the same two steps (4-fold twice). Mark the dough another 2 times (it should have 6 marks totally). Wrap in film and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before use.
- For best results refrigerate the dough overnight.
Did you try this recipe?Mention @tortaoragione and tag #tortaoragione!