Classic Italian jam tart or “crostata” is THE comfort food par excellence.
I noticed that when I publish Instagram stories where I deal with shortcrust pastry I sometimes receive messages from people that experience problems in handling the shortcrust.
I am not an expert by any means, but I thought it could be valuable to post a classic recipe that includes step-by-step images. I also decided to use the round dough cutter to make the perfect “crostata”.
The shortcrust recipe I currently use is this one but you can use your favorite.
The ingredients here are for a 24 cm (9.4 in) round tart but I used a 20 cm (7.9 in) round tart pan with removable bottom instead.
Classic Italian Jam Tart
- 750 g shortcrust pastry (26.4 oz) see the recipe here
- 350 g apricot jam (12.3 oz) or any other fruit jam
- flour for rolling out the pastry
- Preheat the oven at 180° C (355° F).
- Divide the dough into roughly 70% and 30%. Wrap the smaller piece in cling film and put it back in the fridge. Briefly work the bigger piece with you hands to make it plastic.
- Flour the working surface and roll out the dough approx 5-6 mm thick (0.20-0.23 in).
- Pinch holes in the dough using a fork or the pastry rolling docker.
- Carefully roll the pastry on the rolling pin and place it in the tart pan.
- Cut the dough in excess. Place the pan in the fridge.
- Take the smaller piece of dough and work it like the first one.
- Roll the dough on the rolling pin and place it on the dough cutter.
- Pass the rolling pin on the the cutter a few times in order to cut the extra dough. Place the cutter with the dough in the fridge for 10 minutes. This helps when the dough will be placed on the pan.
- Take the pan back from the fridge and spread the preferred jam inside.
- Take the dough cutter and remove the white part. Bring the dough cutter near the pan and flip it upside down with a fast and secure movement. You might want to help yourself with the other hand.
- Remove the excess dough.
- This step is optional but I turned the edges of the pastry towards the inside.
- Bake at 180° C (355° C) for about 25-30 minutes. Check the cooking from minute 25 and adjust accordingly to your oven.