“If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”. I love that quote. Why make life difficult when something is already working?
This time I could not resist though 😁
After I discovered the Claudia Roden’s Orange Cake I started to develop a chocolate version.
The original recipe is tried and tested, and it’s pure genius in its simplicity. But when creativity calls I have to respond…so this is my version: Chocolate Orange Cake.
Chocolate Orange Cake
- 2 oranges
- 6 eggs
- 200 g 7 oz almond flour
- 230 g 8.1 oz sugar
- 30 g 1 oz unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 125 g 4.4 oz chocolate chips, the type that doesn't melt in the oven
- butter and flour* for the pan
- Wash the oranges and boil them for approx 1 ½ hour. If necessary add some boiling water half way thorough.
- Let them cool off, cut them in halves and remove the pips. Puree the oranges in the mixer or handheld.
- In a large bowl mix the eggs with sugar, and add the almond flour.
- Sift together the cocoa powder and the baking powder. Add them to the bowl and mix.
- Also add the oranges puree and stir.
- Lastly fold 90g (3.17 oz) of the chocolate chips into the dough.
- Butter and flour* a 22-24 cm (8-9 in) springform pan. Pour the dough in the pan and distribute the remaining chocolate chips on top. Bake in the pre-heated oven at 180° C (355° F) for 1 hour.